Young Ho Cho
From Smartgrid Yonsei
Statistical modeling of renewable generation
- Power electronic based WTs have probabilistic harmonic characteristics which mean the harmonics are continuously varying.
- Conventional average-value based harmonic magnitude and fixed phase angle cannot fully reflect the probabilistic characteristics.
- Conventional harmonic analysis may overestimate the harmonic impact in the planning studies that may result in the additional cost.
- To reflect the realistic harmonic characteristics, probabilistic characteristics are fully considered.
- Time and frequency domain analysis make it possible to model the probabilistic-based harmonic component.
- This modeling methodology is used to analyze the more realistic harmonic impact on the grid in the planning studies.
- Frequency domain: Individual harmonic magnitudes are randomly generated based on their own probability density function. - Time domain: A randomly generated virtual FFT page turns into a waveform that has probabilistic characteristics by using inverse FFT.
Battery energy storage system (BESS) operation
- In order to dispatch the wind energy, the variability should be compensated.
- Without considering SOC(state of charge), battery reaches the full charge/discharge state.
- 0 or 100% SOC causes operation suspension of battery.
- Reference compensation method enables the wind energy dispatch without operation suspension.
Impedance-based stability anlaysis
- The increase of the power electronic device integration results in control interaction that threatens the system stability.
- The control interaction should be analyzed by fully considering control dynamics.
- The converter impedances are obtained by considering the control dynamics.
- The system stability can be investigated by using the impedance-based analysis.
Converter parameter tuning with particle swarm optimization
- Converter impedance can be adjusted by the control parameters.
- It is possible to secure the system stability with the control parameter optimization.
- Particle swarm optimization is adopted from the behavior of fish schooling and bird flocking.
- After the particle swarm optimization, the multiple converter system can be stable despite the converter disconnection.
- Hybrid Energy Storage System Grid Connection Interface & and Control (2012.04 - 2013.03, KERI)
- Grid Adaptive Offshore Windfarm Power System Design and Control - Power Quality Issues of Windfarm (2012.12 - 2015.12, KEPRI)
- Integrated Analysis and Control Methods for Emerging Changes of Power System Quality and Stability Concerns due to Increasing Converter-based Renewable Generation (2015.12 - 2017.11, KEPCO)
International Journals and Magazines
- Y. Cho, K. Hur, C. Kang, and E. Muljadi, "Impedance-Based Stability Analysis in Grid Interconnection Impact Study Owing to the Increased Adoption of Converter-Interfaced Generators," Energies, Vol. 10, No. 9, Sep., 2017 (http://dx.doi.org/10.3390/en10091355)
- Y. Cho, C. Lee, K. Hur, Y. C. Kang, E. Muljadi, S.-H. Park, Y.-D. Choy, and G.-G. Yoon, "A Framework to Analyze the Stochastic Harmonics and Resonance of Wind Energy Grid Interconnection," Energies, Vol. 9, No. 9, Aug., 2016 (http://dx.doi.org/10.3390/en9090700)
- Y. Cho, E. A. Al-Ammar, and K. Hur, "Reference compensation method for enabling dispatchability of the wind power generation using battery energy storage system," Journal of International Council on Electrical Engineering, vol. 6, issue 1, Jan., 2016 (http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/22348972.2015.1106081)
- J. Shim, Y. Cho, S. Kim, S. Min, and K. Hur, "Synergistic control of SMES and battery energy storage for enabling dispatchability of renewable energy sources," IEEE Transactions on Applied Superconductivity, vol. 23, no. 3, pp. 5901205, Jun., 2013.
- Choongman Lee, Youngho Cho, Essam A. Al-Ammar, and Kyeon Hur, "Assessment of Harmonics and Resonance Issues in Planning Offshore Wind Power Plant", Wind energy Grid-Adaptive Technologies 2014, Jeju, Korea, Oct. 2014
- Youngho Cho, Essam A.Al-Ammar, and Kyeon Hur,"Keeping the Battery Energy Storage System On Using Reference Compensation Method For Dispatchable Wind," The International Conference on Electrical Engineering (ICEE) 2014, Jeju, Korea, Jun. 2014
- Youngho Cho, Jae Woong Shim, Seog-Joo Kim, Sang Won Min, and Kyeon Hur,"Enhanced Frequency Regulation Service using Hybrid Energy Storage System against Increasing Power-Load Variability," IEEE Power and Energy Society General Meeting, Vencouver, Canada, Jul. 2013
- 문주영, 심재웅, 조영호, 허견, 김석주, 민상원, 강동주, "풍력발전에서 Ancillary Service 제공을 위한 전력 안정용 에너지 저장 장치 제어 방안 연구", 대한전기학회 하계학술대회, 강원, 2012년 7월
- 20th ICEE Best Paper Award: Youngho Cho, Essam A.Al-Ammar, and Kyeon Hur, "Keeping the Battery Energy Storage System On Using Reference Compensation Method For Dispatchable Wind"
- 심재웅, 허견, 김세현, 조영호, "과전류를 제한하는 보호 협조 회로 및 방법" (Protection Coordination Circuit for Limiting Overcurrent and Method thereof) (등록 10-1541277), 07/28/2015
- 심재웅, 허견, 조영호, "배터리의 연결 제어 구조" (Structure for Connecting and Controlling a Battery) (출원 10-2014-0092608), 22/07/2014
- 심재웅, 허견, 김세현, 조영호, "과전류를 제한하는 보호 협조 회로 및 방법" (Protection Coordination Circuit for Limiting Overcurrent and Method thereof) (출원 10-2014-0086814), 10/07/2014